Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Eve @ Luzhniki, Moscow

I had wanted to write about it when we (Manchester United) clinched the BPL trophy the previous weekend with a 2-0 defeat of Wigan at the JJB, but, heck, I just got back from a holiday and was of a laze to write about it, but, nonetheless, I was happy as hell after Giggs calmed my nerves by slotting in the no.2 for the night.

Nevertheless, I felt it was fitting for Giggsy when he raised the trophy as I train my focus on the team's preparation for the biggie. Yes, tonight at Luzhniki, Moscow. Manchester United v Chelsea. Arguably the team that United would dread playing the most as the recent statistics do not favour the team, but like all United fans out there we are screaming for payback time. Yes, we lost the battle at Stamford Bridge, but we won the war in the end. We are English Premiership Champions 2007/08. For good measure too, it was our second in a row.

Now as we train our thoughts on tonight's big match, I felt the most apt quote of the day goes to....



Yes, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, when he put it aptly in his recent interview, while he recalled his most famous night at Barcelona, 26th May 1999.

"But if that night taught me one thing, then it was that you should never sulk about not playing. I made a pact with myself that whenever you play, play 100% and told myself that otherwise there's no point in being there. If you sulk on the bench and you're called on, you are not ready because there is something going on in your head."

Mark of a true professional and a true legend.

Whatever it is, this team that Fergie has built around the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez, stands between glory and also rans tonight but I hope the following scene is re-enacted.


No comments: